Sunday 14 February 2016

In the Beginning

There were no socks. Although I have been knitting for over 40 years it was not until 4 years ago that I actually learnt to knit socks. I was afraid and I could not see the point of spending hours knitting them as it was so cheap to buy multi packs in the shops. I just did not know what I was missing.
It was not until I had fully immersed myself into the world of Ravelry that it became obvious that I was missing something. Thousands of folk around the world were knitting and crocheting the most gorgeous dressings for the feet. There were fancy lacy ones, cabled ones, simple plain ones. There were colours galore! I really must be missing out.
Off I went to my LYS (Local Yarn Shop) and dutifully bought a set of DPN's (double pointed needles) to make my first pair. Well what a disaster that was! I kept losing stitches, dropping needles and generally making a dog's dinner of the whole thing. And that was before I even got to the dreaded heel turn. Nope, this sock knitting lark was not for me. The needles went in a box and the sock yarns became other things.
A couple of years later I had discovered a knitting technique called Magic Loop. This method uses one long circular needle in a loop to knit tubular fabric. After a browsing session on Ravelry I found out that there were sock patterns that had been written for this very method. Should I try? Could I at last really knit a sock?
My first ever socks
Yes I could!!!!!
I took it slow and followed the directions to the letter and was amazed when a totally wearable sock emerged from the needles.
From that day 4 years ago I have never looked back and have now completed over 60 pairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment