Saturday 2 January 2021

Happy New Year

 Hello friends, a very hearty welcome to 2021. Never I think have I been so glad to see the back of a year as I have 2020. Although we stayed away from the dreaded Covid, we suffered heartbreak 4 times last year with the passing of our twin cats, Frankie in April and Connie in July, my Aunt in June and Bill's oldest sister in October. It really tore us apart mentally with each passing. So the hope for the coming year is no more loss, more joy and with the vaccines on the horizon the ability to return to some sort of normality. 

For the blog, I am fervently hoping to post fortnightly. Weekly is a bit too much as I find I struggle to have something to say and frequently there is not much progress on projects to share so with that in mind I think fortnightly is the way to go. For anyone who wants more frequent news hop on over to The Sunday Sock Ravelry group where I check in a few times a week and you may see things there which I forget to post here.

To give my knitting year a kick-start I have joined a couple of KAL's and signed up for Race to the Bottom 4. The KAL's are both in the HawthornCottageCraftPodcast group and Race to the Bottom is in the Stash Knit Down group both on Ravelry. 

The first of the KAL's is Knit the Books. Kate has set the challenge to choose a pattern from one of those books we all have sitting on our shelves that we have looked at but never gotten round to making something from. I have had the Knit Swirl book for over 10 years so I have chosen that book.


The pattern I have chosen is Forest Fiesta.


Now, since I am on a budget, I have chosen to knit using yarn from deep stash and I made it my New Year cast on. I am using Sirdar Colourwheel, 80% Acrylic 20% Wool, in the Flower Garden colour. I did buy a new needle for this project and choose a ChiaGoo 4.5mm 120cm which I got from The Little Knitting Company. As of today, I have completed the very long cast on, joined in the round and the second welt. My goal is to knit one welt a day so as to give myself time to work on other things. If all goes to plan I will finish well before the March 31st KAL deadline.

KAL no.2 is a lucky dip. I have hidden 6, I didn't have 12 bags, skeins of sock yarn in paper bags and Bill will choose one each month for me to knit up. 


As I use each baggie I will refill it so my KAL lasts the whole year.

Race to the Bottom is an 18-month long personal challenge to knit the stash and try to hit a yarn themed goal. I have chosen to aim for Cashmere which is 30,000 yards. I was doing very well in the last race until I stopped counting when life got too much so this time I am more motivated to reach my goal. The group moderators have done a fantastic job setting up an easy to use Google spreadsheet to which you just add in your used yarn and it does all sorts of magic to show your progress and how far you still have to go. The chat in the thread is also so supportive and positive, and everyone is going at their own pace, that it never ever feels overwhelming.

Other WIP's

Other things on the needles and being worked in rotation are
  1. Socks
  2. Caramel Cardigan 
  3. A Hat
  4. Habitation throw
  5. Winter Lights Shawl
I will have photos of everything in my next post in 2 weeks and hopefully, some will even be FOs by then.

I think that's it for now, stay safe and healthy

Mary


2 comments:

  1. I love your ideas. As you know, you inspired me with your Caramel sweater for advent yarn, and I am so grateful you introduced me to Hawthorn Cottage/Kate. She is so gentle and wonderful to listen to. I love her ideas about Knitting from the Book and the Lucky Dip. I am such a slow knitter and crocheter that I hate to commit to one project a month. But I will follow you and Kate doing it. Love your blog. ChelleC from Rav

    ReplyDelete
  2. Person alisierte socken Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our.

    ReplyDelete