Sunday 17 January 2021

Focusing on Calm

 Hello friends, for the first time in my life I have chosen a word of the year for myself. My word is CALM, I want to try over the year to bring peacefulness and a sense of tranquillity to all aspects of my life. To aid me in this endeavour I have invested in a journal/planner.


I plan to put my dreams, plans and achievements down on paper to aid my journey to inner peace. In this vein, I am also attempting to find a balance with my knitting. As I have mentioned before I have a few projects on the go, and instead of pushing myself to complete something I am simply picking up whatever speaks to me on a given day. Yes, projects will take longer but I will be knitting with more joy and mindfulness whilst working on something which sparks my interest. 

Books

Reading brings me much pleasure and I much prefer listening to a book whilst knitting than having the TV on. I have different books on the go at any one time for different times of the day. All my current listens are included in versions of 1001 Books to Read Before You Die.
Afternoon listens are

  1. Gargantua and Pantagruel (Librivox) - 5 chapters per day
  2. The Lusiads (Librivox) - 1 canto per day
  3. A Dance to the Music of Time: 4th Movement (Audible) - until I get distracted
  4. The Complete Little Women (Audible) - just a little and not every day

At bedtime to lull me to sleep I am listening to 30mins per night of The Return of the King, part 3 of The Lord of the Rings.

Knitting FO's

My first FO is a pair of socks for me.

I used the Heel, Toe Do-Si-Do pattern by the Crazy Sock Lady and some stash yarn from a previous Flower Power Fund month. The pattern is written for self-striping yarn but I think it works just as well with speckled or variegated yarn.

WIP

The WIP getting most attention over the past week is my Winter Lights shawl. This Stephen West pattern is proving somewhat addictive and I look forward to working on it each day. I am using my Rosie's Moments Advent yarn for this and therefore not following the colour sequence as the pattern directs.





Incomings

Two new yarns landed this past fortnight. I was procrastinating by doing some window browsing in UK dyer's online shops when I stumbled across a yarn called Calico Cat by Mothy and the Squid. Since I am owned by such a kitty, our adorable if demanding Abby, it was just too tempting.



The yarn duly arrived with a cute little butterfly progress keeper and I am delighted with it.


The second yarn to arrive was some prize yarn I won in the Ambah Advent KAL. I was thrilled to be chosen as a winner and have to say even more delighted when the yarn arrived from the USA.

It is a 6 mini-skein set of DK in the most beautiful spring colours. I am not sure what it will become yet but I am toying with some ideas.

I think that is all for now, see you in a fortnight

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Your plan sounds like a good one! My yeary word is also "Calm" and it has been such a good touchstone already. I framed it and have a picture of the "Calm" Taproot magazine cover framed and hung on my wall, right over my desk. ChelleC

    ReplyDelete