Sunday 17 February 2019

Sunday 17th February


Hello friends, I hope you have had a great week.

Last week I mentioned shopping my stash. For this to be a success I first need to fall back in love with some of it. We are all guilty, I am sure, of spotting a skein of yarn at a festival or other yarn event and just having to have it with no pattern or use in mind. That is the reason I have quite a number of skeins in my stash. So now I need to evaluate and decide just what to do with them. I am loving churning out the socks just now so know that will be an answer to a certain degree. With some skeins though, I will need to get over my "this is too pretty/good/nice/luxurious for socks", I have to realise that my feet need to be loved and cossetted just as much as my head or neck. Once I get my brain sorted to that way of thinking I think my sock drawer will fill up and my feet will thank me for it.

Also during the week, I was thinking about my future. I was perusing the internet and stumbled across a local adult learners college website. One of the courses really caught my eye and I called them to ask a bit more about it. It is is a one year return to education course in Celtic Studies with Gaelic. Everything about it struck a chord with me and I will be going along to the college open day next month to find out more.



My Knitting Week


On Monday I picked up the second sock for Dad's birthday present. I am knitting the Vanilla Latte pattern toe-up. This free pattern is a great go-to for women and men. It is a classy and simple knit which always gives great results.

Tuesday, I kept on with the sock and managed to almost get it done.

Wednesday saw the sock finished but as yet there are no photos as they still need washed and blocked.

Thursday I cast on a new sock for me. I always have trouble with socks which move about on my feet whilst wearing them. This week I had on a pair that didn't do this. I looked up my notes on Ravelry and discovered that instead of a 56 st sock this pair had been 52 sts. I was astonished, I double checked, yes I counted the stitches, and right enough just 52 so I have started this sock with 52 sts.


The yarn is from deep stash so I am making good on shopping the stash.

Friday saw me making a decision, the sweater had to go. It just wasn't working in the yarn I have. I had a good look through my Rav library and decided to start a squishy shawl. Split Stripes is a free pattern written for two colours of fingering weight yarn but hey, you know me! I am using my four colours of Merino sport weight to make it my own very smooshy shawl. The shawl is mostly garter stitch with some purl and some very interesting rows.


I have completed the first repeat of the pattern and am moving on to section 2.

On Saturday the Black Dog hit hard and I struggled to even get out of bed. I was floored after having such a positive week thinking about the future. I did manage a few rows on a sock for a friend's daughter but it was a struggle.

Rows last week 439

Time for a cup of tea, happy crafting

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment