Tuesday 15 September 2020

Getting Hygge with it, Scottish Style

 Hello friends, sorry for the absence, my health has been playing up and I have been put on a new medication to try and get my diabetes under control. Whilst I have been dealing with this I simply haven't been able to find the words to chat with you. I am now going to make the blog posts more sporadic and more spontaneous, writing when I have something to share rather than putting pressure on myself to come up with something weekly. 

With the turn of the season,(it's really starting to feel autumnal here), and in an effort to reduce my stress levels I have been reading up on all things Hygge and I find the idea of being content with what I have in my life to be somewhat liberating. Whilst not going the full Danish hog, I have dug out some candles and light them daily, put on some of my favourite perfume, even though I am not going anywhere, and have started listening to the wonderful Skinner series of books by Quintin Jardine whilst wearing snuggly knitted socks and comfy clothes. It really is making a difference to how I feel and I am even knitting with more thought and relaxation. 

The Candles


I love candles, and whilst the Danish go for unscented, I have only scented. I also have an electric wax melt so the room smells beautiful. I find the flame so mesmerizing and when I feel a wee bit stressed simply looking at it for a few seconds grounds me and I instantly feel more relaxed.

The Books

The Skinner series is in no way a cosy mystery series, in fact, the total opposite. They are gritty and full-on making Edinburgh and it's environs sound like a very dangerous and hostile city. It is neither, I always felt very safe in my home city and in my time I have visited every part. That being said, hubs and I find them easy listening and truly enjoy the narration by James Bryce. We have made it to book 9 of 31 and are enjoying the series very much all over again.

The Knitting

As always I have a sock on the pins but my main project is the wonderfully relaxing and meditative Woollsia Shawl by Ambah O'Brien which I am knitting using Scheepjes Whirl in Coral Catastrophe.


Simple garter stitch and eyelets made more impressive by the beautiful gradient yarn. 

That's it for now. Thanks for letting me share with you, stay safe

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment