Monday 9 April 2018

Oops it's Monday

Hello everyone welcome to The Sunday Sock. Yes I know it is Monday and I am a day late. It was back to work for me this week as Easter heralds the start of our season at the Museum and time just seemed to run away from me. However here I am know to share all in my wee world on and off the needles.
This last couple of weeks I have heard of a great way that us knitters can help Marie Curie Cancer Care a wonderful charity which helps cancer patients have support and care at the most difficult time in their lives. I have personal experience of this care as my Granddad spent the last 3 weeks of his life in a local Marie Curie hospice where both he and the wider family were supported and cared for with compassion and love. The Flower Power Fund on Instagram, Facebook and Ravelry has got together with 12 different yarn dyers and each month one is offering a limited edition colour with part of the proceeds going to Marie Curie. Sadly I missed out on Jan and Feb but I was lucky I found out in time to snag a March skein.

Vintage Daffodil by Beehive Yarns
The photo does not really do the yarn justice, it is just beautiful, so soft and vibrant. I am sure I will just love knitting with it and if I knit socks my feet will love me.
There are also regular raffles held to further support the charity with great yarnie prizes on offer. Go and check it out, I am sure you wont be disappointed.


Now to the Knitting


This weeks cast on is not a sock but a shawl. I have had the pattern for Batik by Kitman Figueroa in my Ravelry queue and library for a number of years and finally I decided the time had come to cast on.


This is a bottom up shawl with pattern on both sides but the pattern is so well written and charted that it is not hard for a knitter with some experience. As you can see I am using Drops Fabel yarn in the Grand Canyon colour and will have to buy some more as I have decided to knit the large size shawl.

Also in the small basket I have

Top right - Burntisland socks,
Bottom left - Nougat Cowl
Bottom right - Blueberry Waffle socks

All have had some progress since last week and the Blueberry Waffle sock just seem to knit themselves when I pick up the needles.

In the big basket I still have my Firenze sweater but have also made some progress as I have started the second sleeve.



FO


Yes, this week I have a FO to show you,


These socks were truly my nemesis as it took me 4 attempts to get them right for me. The yarn is designed to be knit top down to create a pair of perfectly matching socks but I just could not manage to get them right. Finally with a little manipulation of the yarn I went back to my favourite Milkshake toe up pattern and got a result that works for me. I am more than delighted to have these finished.

Finally this week I have some new needles to show you. I am sure like most of you I have way too many needles but when it comes to start that new project the right size just cannot be found as they are in a long forgotten hibernating project. I was perusing Amazon and discovered this set at a really reasonable price.




They came next day and although I have not tried them yet I have had similar before and I am sure they will be fine for future sweater knitting.

I think that is all I have to tell you this week and hopefully I will be back on Sunday with some more progress to share and a new cast on to show you.

Remember to come and join me for a chat and a cuppa on  Ravelry in our own wee group I would love to see you there and for you to show me what is on your needles and hooks.

Happy Crafting

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment