Tuesday 27 March 2018

Mostly About Socks

Hello. sorry I am a couple of days late, I had issues with loading the photos. Anyway I am here now and better late than never.
This week I have been knitting mostly socks along with a few other bits and pieces. I learned to knit socks about 6 years ago and I always have at least one pair on the go. I first learned to knit them cuff down but quickly realised that I did not like picking up the stitches down the side of the heel flap and switched to toe-up. I find this method suits me perfectly and there has been no stopping me since. Firstly here are the socks I have on the needles.


This yarn is Regia Pairfect which is specially designed to be knit top down to create a perfect pair of matching socks. This is my fourth attempt with this yarn and I have given up trying and just gone with my go to Vanilla sock pattern which is Milkshake by my lovely friend Fiona Tulloch. This is a great free pattern which assuming you have some knitting skills allows you to make perfect toe-up socks with no stress at all.

Next up is another pattern from Fiona.


This is Burntisland, a paid for pattern, which costs £3.60. It is the third pattern in her Regatta series and is a joy to knit. Once again it is a toe-up pattern with no heel stitches to pick up.


I am knitting this in KnitPicks Stroll Tonal yarn in the Queen Anne colour (discontinued) which I was given many years ago in a swap package. This is a beautifully soft yarn to knit with and it is showing the pattern well.

Now on to some finished socks.


Once again I used the Milkshake pattern for the foot but instead of a stocking stitch leg I went straight on to the cuff and did 80 rounds of 2x2 rib for cosy ankles. This time I used RipplesCrafts reliable sock yarn in Hubble Bubble RS350. This is my go to hand dyed sock yarn as it knits up great and wears like iron. I was very lucky to visit the dye shed last year and picked up this yarn whilst there.


Now on to something different. I also completed some Bon Bons Mitts to go with the hat and socks previously done for a friend's daughters's birthday.


I also cast on the neck warmer to go with the set. This is knitted in Drops Fabel 604 Ocean View Long Print which I bought from Wool Warehouse.


Finally I dug out my sock yarn Blanket which I started in Sept 2015 and added a few squares.


This is a long term project with a long way to go as I need to knit loads of socks to get the leftovers.

The stash was slightly enhanced this week with 8 more balls of the Drops Fabel as there is a sale on until March 31st and the balls are reduced by 30%.


This is my go to mass produced sock yarn as it is very well priced and will generally be here just a couple of days after ordering. I like how it knits up and there is a great range of colours.

See you next Sunday

Happy crafting

Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment