Friday 23 November 2012

Sock Satisfaction

Earlier this year I overcame a fear, I found a solution and I took a plunge. That plunge has me hooked. Yes folks I am addicted to knitting socks. Hand knitted socks feel wonderful on your feet, and are a quick and satisfying knit.
My fear was that socks were hard to knit. Too hard for the likes of me to attempt. I have since found out that that is a load of baloney. Socks are probably one of the easiest things I have ever knitted. All it took was a bit of courage and a good simple to follow well written pattern and I was off. My first foray was using thicker yarns and needles. I must admit that I struggled so hard with the DPN's that I almost gave up, they were just too fiddly for me.
That is where the solution came in. Magic loop. It has since become my best friend. I can with a few wee adjustments knit almost any pattern I want. I have tried a few and some have definitely become a firm favourite.
The first socks I knitted were just plain stocking stitch to get into the hang of the different parts of the sock. Then I moved on to try some ribbed and finally some lacy ones.


I love the process of the sock, the cuff, leg (patterned or plain), the magical turn of the heel, the not so magical picking up of the gusset stitches, the foot and finally the toe. And voilĂ  a sock. I have not yet succumbed to the dreaded second sock syndrome as I am still having so much fun as this next picture will prove. 
My current SIP's

As you can see I have 6 pairs on the go and I am loving each and every one. I will try to update my progress at least once a week and keep you informed of what is new in my world of sock knitting.

Stay safe and happy crafting

Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment